Thursday, December 23, 2010

Georgia State Falls 74-72 in OT

Losing hurts.  Losing to Georgia Southern hurts more. 

I've maintained for months that if you set your expectations correctly, you will not be disappointed.  Should we have beaten Georgia Southern? Probably but our teams are 8-37 on the road in the Rod Barnes Era.

I said that I would be pleased with a .500 overall record and near .500 in CAA play.  I believed that would be enough for Barnes to remain our coach and I still believe that will be the case.

So how do we get there? We currently sit at 4-5 in the non conference heading to Chattanooga next Wednesday for the Dr. Pepper Challenge which is a MTE (Multi-Team Event).  Thursday's game will likely be vs. Montreat who is an NAIA school.

I believe we should be able to split those two games and will return to Atlanta and enter conference play at 5-6.

To achieve .500 overall the team would need to go 10-8 the rest of the way.  I believe this is probable but will very difficult as we've never had better than a 8-10 CAA record.

2 comments:

  1. Wow loosing to Georgia Southern! That hurts our reputation and continues our confusion with the letters GSU! When we wear our GSU gear we still have to explain it's State not Southern! Rod's teams start out slow and then slow up before conference with a one or two point loss in the first game of the CAA tourney! Players are great guys just no leaders and none want to win. Would rather have smarter players than "long athletic" players. What about a winning season for Men's Basketball once every decade? Where's Lefty?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure how bad it damages our reputation as we are viewed a mid to low major as it is.

    I'm not sure what part of the state you are in but I rarely have to explain who the GSU is.

    One of my favorite Lefty quotes,"Good teams win on the road."

    ReplyDelete