Sunday, December 12, 2010

Georgia State Falls 61-59, Squanders 10 point 2nd half lead

Junior PF Brandon McGee was a bright spot vs. WMU
Photo Courtesy of GSU Sports Communications

The AJC called it a collapse and it's hard to disagree.  Maybe it was just the way things bounce after the victory vs. James Madison with the Ali tip in winner.

You're at home and you have a 10 point lead with 8:49 to play in the ball game.  From that point, Western Michigan outscored the Panthers 19-7 and stole a game that they never should have won.

It's extremely frustrating to watch but as I've said over and over, this is going to happen with so many key players who are new to this team and new to college basketball on the Division 1 level.  My expectations were, and still are, to stay around .500 overall and continue to get better as the season goes on.  Our freshman struggled mightily vs. the Broncos, as Harold Doby and Devonta White shot 1-8 from the field and had 5 turnovers between them. 

Brandon McGee played very well and I wouldn't be suprised if he earned the start vs. Florida A&M this Saturday.  Last week was a little harder as new players (see how I keep emphasizing that), took final exams all week and were practicing while their peers left for Christmas break.  This cannot be understated.  If this is your first time doing this at a Division 1 level (many JUCO players have no organization and can pretty much go and come as they please to class and many HS players have never taken 5 exams in a semester before) then it becomes a culture shock.

This week should be a more focused week of practice and I expect a good effort vs. the Rattlers of FAMU on Saturday night at the Sports Arena.  I'm hoping to see you there.

Examiner Link

2 comments:

  1. However I am reserving the right to become a Boo-Bird. My optimism is sliding a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I expect a win on Saturday vs. Florida A&M. Then we are back on my schedule. The Chattanooga trip will be very telling to me.

    ReplyDelete