Thursday, November 11, 2010

(Updated) Basketball Recruiting: Signing Day!

Good Morning and Happy Thursday! 

Football takes a bit of a backseat yesterday as our men's and women's basketball programs are expected to receive National Letters of Intent today. 

             

Updated as of 4:00pm: PF Jervon Pressley of E.E Waddell High School in Charlotte, North Carolina signed his LOI yesterday at a ceremony at his school.  He's very excited about becoming a Panther: "[I'm] now a GSU (Georgia State University) bound PF!!!

This is arguably Coach Rod Barnes' highest profile signee in his 4 years on campus.  Pressley is a 6'8, 220lbs power forward with incredible athleticism, strong hands and a body frame to add 10-15 lbs.

Pressley Link from Scout.com as of two weeks ago:
Sporting the flat-top fade haircut, Pressley finished with a couple monster dunks that almost brought the backboard down. He was a force in the paint, swatting shots left and right and pulling down boards. Named MVP of 2011 game. Needs to work on a 8-10 foot jump shot to add to his arsenal.  Scout.com Link

Women's Team:
SG Brittany Johnson of Southside High School in Ft. Wayne, Indiana signed yesterday.  She is a 5'9 guard is the younger sister of starting men's basketball PG Marques Johnson.  Johnson chose the Panthers over IUPUI, Western Michigan and XavierFrom the Ft. Wayne Journal-Gazette, Johnson: "It makes me comfortable, and I’ll work harder now because it isn’t like I am working for just one person, but I am working for Georgia State and South Side, so I have to represent both sides."
"My mom (Dawn) and my brother had everything planned out, but they wanted it to be my decision," said Johnson, who scored eight points against the Patriots. "It helped my brother is down there, but I wasn’t even looking at the program three years ago. It just happened this summer, and they came to watch me. I feel comfortable with them."

10.11.10 Update - Video on Brittany's signing: YouTube Link

Also signing is 5'8 PG Kayla Nolan out of Duluth HS.  She signed at a ceremony at her school to sign her LOI.

Welcome to the family Jervon, Brittany and Kayla!

No comments:

Post a Comment