Monday, February 28, 2011

Closing the Book on the Barnes Era

Photo Courtesy of GSU Sports Communications

Whenever a Head Coach is fired, it's not a happy time.  We don't celebrate firings  (or at least I don't).  I understand what Coach Barnes inherited and I'm glad that he was able to refocus the men's basketball program in the classroom and running a clean program.  Recruiting had been a bit of an issue and if you missed my Recruiting Hits and Misses, check it out here.

I ran some numbers to see what the Barnes Era looked like: 
-44 wins and 79 losses overall
-24-48 in CAA play (8-10 was our best year in 2008-09)
-Team PPG was 61.6 in 4 seasons.  That's one of the worst in the country over that stretch.
-Team FG% was 41.9% in 4 seasons.
-Team FT% was 63.5% in 4 seasons.  This could easily be attributed to 3 losses this season.
-Team averaged 14.1 turnovers per game.
-Team fouls per game have risen each year and capped at 21.3 this past regular season.

So I've been asked: Why now?  I truly believe it was time to move on and let the college basketball world know that we are not happy about finishing in the bottom 3rd of the CAA.  The league may be at it's strongest season with 2 NCAA bids looking like a near lock.  I believe that buying out his contract now also gives us an entire week to reach out to agents and coaches who are not currently working.

I also believe that the foundation is there for a coach to be hired and evaluate this roster which will potentially return 9 players in 2011-12.  Also, this gives the new coach time to speak with Jervon Pressley and make sure he's still on board (which I believe he is, more on this later).

We will review my thoughts on possible coaching candidates this week and what our roster could look like in October when practice begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment