Friday, March 11, 2011

Boise State Transfer Mike Tamburo to UGA, Not GSU

According to my man Chip Towers of the AJC, former Boise State and North Gwinnett HS QB Mike Tamburo has been accepted and will walk on at Georgia this summer.


Playing time did not seem to be a concern as a change of scenery:

"I’ve been talking to Georgia and to Coach [Mike] Bobo and I just liked everything about the idea of going that. "There’s the football program, the tradition and all that. I know about the all the guys on the depth chart and all that. But that’s not what this is about. I’m just looking for a fresh start."

Tamburo mentioned that he took a long, hard look at Georgia State who now has an immediate need at QB with starter Drew Little being slapped with a four game suspension and back up Star Jackson leaving the program.

"Yeah, yeah, I talked to them," said Tamburo, who accounted for 8,476 total yards and 90 touchdowns while playing for Bob Sphire at North Gwinnett High. "I’ve got a couple of buddies that play there and my little sister (Kristin Tamburo) is going there to play soccer. But there were a lot of things that went into my decision."

My take: While this seems like another blow in an already tough week for the football program, I do not believe Tamburo will ever take a snap at Georgia with Sophomore QB Aaron Murray and incoming Freshman Christian LeMay on campus. It's very obvious that he would rather move closer to home and is happy to be a part of an FBS program.  What will truly be interesting if there happens to be a coaching staff change this December. Could Tamburo be on the move again?

No comments:

Post a Comment