Saturday, April 10, 2010

My Impressions of the Spring Game

Kelton Hill took a huge step forward to grabbing the starting QB nod

I took my wife, daughter, parents and a good friend of mine to the Georgia Dome today to watch the Blue-White scrimmage.  I truly was impressed at the Dome.  The crowd turnout was fantastic
(more than 3100) considering the complete lack of promotion by our athletic department.  Here's my thoughts on today.

The Good:
-Bo Schlecter and Kelton Hill made very good throws.  I believe they lept to the forefront ahead of Drew Little.  Kelton is a very confident kid.

"“I think I’ve got the lead so far,” Hill said. (http://www.ajc.com/sports/curry-pleased-with-panthers-452426.html)

-Sidney Haynes is a legitimate highlight reel player.  This guy makes special plays.  He runs good routes and was the receipent of the 54 yard bomb from Hill in the 3rd quarter.
-The defensive ends performed very well.  Evan Bostic and Austin Wiley played in the backfield all day.
-The tight end is a definite focus of the offense.  Multiple spread sets and will allow the QB escape as I believe...

The Bad:
-Our offensive line will be our biggest weakness heading into fall practice.  Not exactly too much of a shock considering this is the one position on the field that requires the most chemistry and time to develop.
-Our secondary needs work.  Other than Brent McClendon's pass break up and Brandon Jones' huge hit on Emmanuel Ogbuehi, there were very few plays made in the secondary.

The Ugly:

-The Gameday Atmosphere: The band played pretty much the same music they play during basketball games.  This was your last chance to incite the more than 3100 fans with some great new music.  The public address announcer had some very weak moments (I'll admit extreme bias there as my favorite PA announcer was not asked to call the game) and there was a great opportunity to teach our fans how to be Panther fans.  This is a huge opportunity and we will not be able to impress the fan base again before August.

2 comments:

  1. I agreed with most. I kind of liked the gameday atmosphere though. The crowd was generally pretty into it. I loved the graphics on the ribbons and GSU stuff around the Dome.

    Any new news on the GT lineman. Having a starting ACC RG would go a long way to helping those OL issues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both graduate from Tech on Saturday, May 8th. They both should be on campus this summer to begin work on the graduate degrees. Both will have 2 year of eligibility remaining.

    ReplyDelete